When it comes to the appearance of a manuscript, agents end up seeing a variety of formats, including some horror stories. So how should you format your manuscript? Nathan Bransford, a literary agent with the San Francisco office of Curtis Brown offers the following “author standard” template.
1. A title page with the title and your contact information
2. Double Space
3. 1″ margins
4. 1/2 inch indent for each new paragraph
5. Make sure pages are numbered and don’t start over every chapter
6. Page break after the end of a chapter
7. And no unusual fonts, choose either Times New Roman or Courier 12 point font
I’m sure there are a number of other details but Mr. Bransford suggestions are a great place to start.